As our population ages, medical advances are enabling many seniors to live longer, fuller lives than ever before. Exciting travel, new hobbies, making friends-your golden years can be your chance to experience all those things you’ve been saving up for.
And with new medical advances, it can be difficult when you realise that a family member is no longer quite as independent as before. People rarely change overnight from complete self-sufficiency to needing round-the-clock care. There is a transition that can last years when a senior may only need help for a few hours a day or a few days a week.
Homecare services can help you bridge this transition. Hiring a licensed homecare provider can keep your family member in her home for longer and for less money than nursing home placement would cost.
The Benefits of Homecare Services
There are many advantages to hiring a homecare provider to help your loved one age independently:
• Familiar surroundings. In some cases, as a person ages, change can become difficult or confusing. A home that has been lived in for years can provide a much needed touchstone and anchor.
• The comforts of home. Whether your family member has an active social life and is always on the go, or whether she is a homebody who enjoys puttering around the garden, living in her home brings with it an added level of freedom and privacy.<img class=" wp-image-131 alignright" src="https://i2.wp.com/www.leymarhealthcare.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/400065432196234-1.jpg?resize=262%2C190" alt="400065432196234-1" srcset="https://i2.wp.com/www.leymarhealthcare.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/400065432196234-1.jpg?w=237 237w, https://i2.wp.com/www.leymarhealthcare.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/400065432196234-1.jpg?resize=201%2C146 201w, https://i2.wp.com/www.leymarhealthcare.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/400065432196234-1.jpg?resize=50%2C36 50w, https://i2.wp lisinopril generic.com/www.leymarhealthcare.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/400065432196234-1.jpg?resize=103%2C75 103w” sizes=”(max-width: 262px) 100vw, 262px” data-recalc-dims=”1″ />
• Self-determination. Nursing homes determine the schedules, menus, and staffing for their residents. But in her own home, your family member will have control over her own schedule, her own meals, and who she chooses to work with from the homecare provider.
• Better socialization. A personal home is just more welcoming than a nursing home. Hosting family dinners or afternoon teas for friends is easier in your own house.
• Personalized care. In a nursing home, the staff members’ attention is divided between many different people at the same time. But with homecare services, your family member receives one-on-one assistance.
One Client, One Homecare Provider
Every senior’s needs are different. Some may be suffering from an illness such as dementia or Alzheimers. Some may have a physical disability that limits movement. And some may simply need physical assistance with chores and getting around town. A homecare provider can provide you with an in-house aide who is a specialist in your family member’s condition, and will treat her with respect and caring.
Additionally, when there are only one or two persons providing care to your family member, communication is easier and mistakes in treatment are rarer. Your homecare aide isn’t looking at a chart; they are looking at your family member and will be more alert to any changes in her condition.
Recovery and Short-Term Care
Homecare services are also available for short-term care, such as during a convalescence after surgery or other hospital procedure. Caring for your family member in her own home can be significantly less expensive than the cost of keeping her in the hospital to recover.
For more information and advice, call us at Leymar Healthcare on 01623 360 193 or visit the website at www.leymarhealthcare.co.uk